10 steps to selling your property
If you are selling your property this year, you will probably encounter that the sales process is not as fast as it was a year or two ago. Prices in the real estate market have recovered from the crash and more and more sellers are putting their properties in the market. This makes that the inventory in most of the areas of the city is higher than years ago. Therefore it takes longer to sell a home. Depending on the area we can consider that we are now days in a buyers market.
Before selling your home there are 10 steps that you need to go through:
- Start researching the market yourself. Go to the different sites like Zillow.com, Trulia.com or realtor.com, and build your own idea about what your home is worth. Also talk to any professional in the real estate industry that you may come across, and ask them what their opinion is.
- Hire a home inspection. This way you will have a good idea of the repairs that your home may need and you are able to do them ahead with the company that you prefer at the price that you prefer.
- Fix the things that you can fix and increase the curb appeal of your home. Since we are in a buyers market there is lot of competition that you have to deal with. This means that making your home as attractive as possible is always going to play in your favor. Sometimes it is only a few on expensive things that are home may need to increase its curb appeal:
- New paint always gives the sensation of being in a newer and well-kept home.
- Make some investments on your landscaping; this is always something that people feel good about.
- Do a deep cleaning of the entire home. This means cleaning the roofs, the patios, maybe with pressure cleaner, the driveway, the metalwork in any part of your home.
- Interview several real estate agents. It is a buyers market and it is important to get as much professional assistance and marketing as possible. While you interview them ask them about what they think about the house and what ideas on making it look better can they suggest. You also we want to know if they have one half worked in your area, in your price range, and with which brokerage company you’re working with. Another important thing is to talk about their marketing strategy for selling your home. At that first meeting they should be able to explain all those details with you.
- Choose your realtor or define your preferred marketing strategy if you prefer to sell the home by yourself. Especially in a buyers market it is important to have as much help in marketing as possible through a realtor. Statistics reveal that sales done by direct sellers usually reach a lower price then if sold through a Realtor. Getting the help of a professional may not be a bad thing to do despite the prize that you need to pay for.
- Choose your best moment to sell. If you have the chance of choosing in at which time of the year you will put your property for sale, try to choose springtime or autumn. Most buyers go out and search for properties in those times. You will have a better chance of selling it the best.
- Define which is your target price. Once you know which is the price you would like to get for your property set up a price that is not too much higher. You don’t want to overprice your property. Many buyers may not even come and look at it. You will want to get as many people interested in the property and sometimes a goo strategy is to put a low price and get several people offering on it, and this way putting the property in a multiple offer situation. Your chosen realtor should be able to help you in defining what is the right price to put your property in the market.
- Get rid of the unnecessary things you may keep in your house. Sitting at home is the perfect timing of arranging for a garage sale and making your home ready to carry little clutter as possible. Buyers always prefer to see a home and it’s full extension. You may even consider putting some furniture or things in warehouse. Use the resources of your realtor of your choice. With their experience they may be able to guide you through what is better to leave out of the home at the moment that you want to sell.
- Keep your home always clean and ready to show. Flowers, aromatic candles, and good soft music are all elements that give at cozy tone to your home. Keep your garden up-to-date. It is important for buyers to see and imagine the full potential of living in your home.
- Stay always good well informed about what is going on in the market. What are the homes that are for sale and competing with yours? What homes have sold recently or are getting pending in the time before and during your sales process. All of this gives you good information on how you should negotiate your own potential offers.