How to prepare your home for showing
Getting ready to sell your home has many dimensions related to it.
One is the personal dimension, which is your emotional readiness to sell.
Weeks in advance before putting your home in the market, a seller should start realizing that you are going to move out of it. It is an emotional period of your life, so many memories and so many feelings surrounding it. But now it’s time to move on and you need to disassociate yourself from it.
Start packing your personal belongings like photographs and certain things that are very special to you (books, things that only have meaning to you, and stuff in general). It is always good to present your home in the most simple and neutral way
Another is the financial dimension to it which is related to the costs that may be involved with fixing the things that may be needed and doing the touch-ups that will improve the curb appeal of your home.
Review your finances, get a home inspection report and let your realtor guide you through which are the most important things that need to be done before putting your home in the market. Don’t overspend; just spend the exact amount needed to get the best price for your home. You may need to paint the outside and the interiors of your home.
Interior and exterior
Another dimension is the one related to maximizing the interior and exterior appeal of your home. Take the time you need and the least money you need to invest. The sparkling exterior and interior curb appeal of your home are an important factor in the price that you would get for it.
Here are some tips to increase your home’s exterior curb appeal:
- Keep your landscape up-to-date and add some flowers or plants that make the home a bit cozier
- Clean your driveway patios and gutters
- Apply a fresh coat of paint to the front door
- Keep all windows and doors functioning well and painted
It is important that potential buyers see themselves and their own things in the possible home they buy. Therefore neutralizing, de-cluttering and organizing your home is an important factor in enhancing your interiors. Here are some tips to enhance your interior appeal:
- De-clutter your whole home. Do a garage sale and get rid of all the things that you don’t need anymore.
- Make a deep cleaning of your whole house. Make your house sparkle!
- Rearrange all closets and kitchen cabinets. When a buyer looks into the closets and kitchen cabinets they see how tidy you are in maintaining your home. Having a good impression of the maintenance of it will lead them to have a good impression of the whole home.
- Replace all burnt light bulbs. Every detail that is taken care of is a plus.
Present your home
And last but not least is how you should present your home while you and your Realtor are showing it.
Always keep your home clean and tidy. Everything should look at its best! Have some nice aromatic candles available when you are showing your home. It is always a cozy factor! Put some nice soft background music on. This can also set a welcoming tone.
All details big or small are important in order to make the best impression possible buyers.